The Geography Teachers' Association of Queensland Inc. (GTAQ) is the professional organisation representing Geography teachers in Queensland.
Objectives of GTAQ
- To improve the knowledge and skills of teachers of Geography through early childhood to post-compulsory education.
- To develop support materials that promote Geography teaching and learning.
- To ensure Geography plays an integral role in the development of students' learning in the Humanities and Social Sciences (HaSS).
- To ensure the importance of Geography teaching and learning is recognised in current and future educational initiatives such as civics and citizenship education (CCE) and vocational education and training.
Click here for a copy of the GTAQ Constitution
GTAQ is an affiliate of the Australian Geography Teachers Association (AGTA). One of the main roles of the AGTA organisation is to promote the teaching of Geography around the nation. The link below leads to a document outlining the importance of studying Geography - Australia Needs Geography.
Both AGTA and the State Affiliates aim to promote the importance of Geography as a core area of learning within schools, the community and the state and federal authorities.
AGTA supports teachers of Geography from pre-school to Year 12 and tertiary educators in all affiliate associations, both metropolitan and non-metropolitan. It seeks to link with community members, other educators and researchers who have an interest in geographical education.
AGTA seeks to:-
- Foster the teaching and learning of Geography in Australian schools and enhance the awareness of its application in society;
- Promote and circulate the results of research into Geography Education;
- Maintain a professional network through which teachers of Geography in Australia may express opinions on educational matters;
- Represent the interests of its member affiliates on national education decision-making bodies.
Please see our contact page for more information on resources, support or other enquiries.
Geography Teachers' Association of Queensland Inc.
Level 1/28 Fortescue St, Spring Hill QLD 4000